WELCOME TO DEPARTMENT OF CHILD DENTAL HEALTH
HISTORY OF THE DEPARTMENT
The Department is composed of 2 units: Paediatric Dentistry and Orthodontics. The Department trains dental students in Orthodontics and Paediatric Dentistry which is achieved by lectures, seminars, laboratory work and clinical practice in the fourth, fifth and sixth clinical years of the dental course.
The Department of Child Dental Health was created on August 1st, 1980 following the approval of the University Senate on June 17th, 1980. It was carved out of the Department of Restorative Dentistry. The first Head of Department was Dr. J. O. Adenubi, 1980-1983. The staff strength at that time was:
1. Dr. J. O. Adenubi (Paediatric Dentistry)
2. Dr. M. C. Isiekwe (Orthodontics)
3. Dr. N. O. Salako (Paediatric Dentistry)
4. Dr. P. O. Bamgboye (Paediatric Dentistry)
5. Dr. Lanre Bello (Paediatric Dentistry)
6. Dr. E. O. Sote (Paediatric Dentistry)
7. Dr. Wayne Logan (Orthodontics)
8. Mrs. A. Jinmi (Laboratory Technologist)
9. Mr. E. A. Bassey (Laboratory Technologist)
10. Mr. Akapo (Confidential Secretary)
11. Mr. G. Fruebi (Laboratory Assistant)
The Department has made tremendous progress in staff development, in spite of the brain drain of the 80s. Currently the Department has the following staff strength which includes:
1. Dr. O. O. Sanu Assoc. Professor & Ag. Head of Dept. (Orthodontics)
2. Prof. M. C. Isiekwe Professor (Orthodontics)
3. Prof. E. O. Sote Professor (Paediatric Dentistry)
4. Prof. F. A. Oredugba Professor (Paediatric Dentistry)
5. Dr. O. O. daCosta Associate Professor (Orthodontics)
6. Dr. I. L. Utomi Associate Professor (Orthodontics)
7. Dr. O.O. Orenuga Senior Lecturer (Paediatric Dentistry)
8. Dr. O. O. Olatosi Senior Lecturer (Peadiatric Dentistry)
9. Dr. G. I. Isiekwe Senior Lecturer (Orthodontics)
10. Dr. M. O. Ashiwaju Lecturer I (Paediatric Dentistry)
11. Dr. C. L. Nzomiwu Lecturer I (Paediatric Dentistry)
12. Mr. C. A. Anamelechi Asst. Chief Technologist
13. Mr. I. E. Ofuebo Administrative Officer I
14. Mr. S. A. Nwaoboshi Asst Chief Data Processing Officer
15. Mrs. A. A. Tella Administrative Assistant
The Department also carries out training of Registrars (Junior and Senior) for the West African Postgraduate Medical College and the National Postgraduate Medical College.
In the last 20 years the Department has trained more than 40 Paediatric Dentists and Orthodontists, who are gainfully employed in both State and Federal Institutions. The Department continues to engage in high quality research.
The goal of the Department is the establishment of two functional Departments namely Paediatric Dentistry and Orthodontics and this can be achieved within the next 3 to 5 years.
To be a centre of global distinction in training, research and clinical services in Paediatric dentistry and Orthodontics.
To provide a conducive environment for learning, acquisition of knowledge, research and development of skills for the management of oral conditions and preservation of oral health in children and adolescents.